Third suicide bomb attack hits UNIMAID in two weeks
The Guardian (Nigeria), May 20, 2017
Barely 48 hours after three suicide bombers attacked the University of Maiduguri; another bomber on Saturday detonated his explosive outside the perimeter fencing of the school.
Some reports claimed the male suicide bomber breached the premises of the school attempting to bomb a students’ hostel, while another source said the explosion occurred behind the Demonstration Secondary School of the university, at the back of E.T.F hall, a hostel full of students.
Security guards at the school said no casualty was recorded amongst members of the university community, adding that the suicide bomber died when he detonated his IED vest.
The Borno State police commissioner, Damian Chukwu, who said the incident happened at about 10 a.m., added that the bomber hid near the university’s Children Secondary School, and detonated the bomb, killing himself, when he sighted a security man coming in his direction.
There was no other casualty in the incident, he said. But the incident, the third in less than two weeks, has however heightened tension in the campus, as students and staffers expressed worries over the frequent attacks.
The university lies on the outskirts of Maiduguri, on the route to Bama.Aside the brick perimeter fence on the front side, there is no major barrier at the back, which seems to allow insurgents easy access into the campus.
It would be recalled that last week, one of the five Boko Haram commanders swapped for the 82 abducted Chibok School girls appeared in a video threatening to inundate the country with more bomb attacks.The military however, dismissed the video as “cheap propaganda.”